Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Twitter Find...


On Twitter Tonight, I found what I believe is to be of the most moving videos I have ever watched in my life. I follow a woman named Sabrina Stevens. She is a fourth grade teacher and I really enjoy what she has to say. I follow her twitter, her blog on here, and also her personal writings on my personal tumblr. Today, she posted a video about bullying that has seriously changed me.

My personal take on bullying:
My classroom will absolutely be a No Tolerance Zone. As an early childhood teacher, I want my classroom to be a safe haven to express yourself however you want. I've always been a little different growing up. And, most of my life I've struggled with being bullied. Up until I switched schools in 11th grade, I dealt with everything from name calling to vandalization of my house and parent's car. In elementary school I was bullied a lot because of my physical appearance, and this was something that haunted me even in Jr. High/High school. I've been called every name in the book, and it has taken a toll on me. Only recently have I made mends and came to terms that I am happy with the person I am today, and it is something that I work on everyday. I don't think that people understand just how much getting bullied effects a person. This, is why it is so important for me to make sure that from an early age my classroom understands that bullying is not okay. Being different is great, and everyone is beautiful in their own way.

After coming across this tweet, I stumbled upon this video. It sums up the effects of bullying and shares stories of people who were bullied as children

If you do anything with my blog, I hope it is to watch this video and share it with someone. I am so glad that I have this professional twitter account and follow such awesome educators to share things like this. I am glad this Bully awareness video was made. As Early Childhood Educators, It is our job to make sure that our classroom is a safe haven for our children. I will do whatever I can to put an end to bullying and make sure that every child in my class knows they are very special no matter who they are and what they look like.

By the way if you want to follow my teacher twitter it is - crazycatteacher

Peace, Love, and Happy Teachings - Miss Caitlin

9 comments:

  1. My friend actually posted this tonight on Facebook. Knowing he was bullied as a kid, it was pretty touching. Makes me want to Hulk on bullies everywhere. I agree that a classroom can be a safe haven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire that you got through those years you were bullied,and now you want to make sure that other children do not go through what you went through. It is sad how our society is nowadays and people feel the need to ruin other people's lives. It's almost like a hobby to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually saw this on Facebook. One of my friends posted it. I really admire that you were able to get though those years of bullying and will be a really good role model for your future students. I agree with your statement that people don't truly understand how it affects a person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look up to people who got through bullying in their lives because it can be such a hardship in life and no one deserves that

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I watched that video. Remarkable to say the least. I pray that my kids never have to deal with anything even remotely similar to those on the video. And to you who lived with such things, I take my hat off to you. You have shifted from a victum to an agent of protection for others, and that is remarkable. Keep it up. Keep being who you were created to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that video was intense! But I'm thankful that you posted it. I think kids will be lucky to have you as a teacher. Especially since you are so "in tune" with what they go through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really agree with your views on bullying. Too many kids are having bully issues today and it seems like the teachers do not care. My brother delt with bullies for years and he finally had to switch out of the school he was in to a vocational/technical school to escape the constant harassment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My classroom will be a zero tolerance policy as well for bulling. After graduating with a class of 336 and after our highschool was on MTV's show, If You Really Knew Me, for cyberbullying, I will not allow it. I grew up watching my peers destroy eachother and get destroyed by countless times of bullying, and I learned how much it can really affect a child's life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy how you took a topic in the classroom that really grabs your interest and used it in research on twitter! It's amazing how many different people have certain opinions on the same topic as you do.

    ReplyDelete